Thursday, December 19, 2002

Not a whole lot to report this week, I've been fighting a wicked cold/flu bug that has knocked me on my ass for a few days. I think a lot of it is due to an adjustment to a new environment and spending 5 days a week teaching lots of living, breathing germ factories. I seem to be on the mend now, but I have to say there's nothing more nerve racking than going to a foreign hospital and being pumped full of all kinds of drugs and pills that you have no idea what they are! "I think that's Tylenol...''

Over the past weekend, Amy and I ventured out of the city on a bus to the Seoknamsa temple. We were guided by a very well-meaning Korean college student who managed to talk our ear off for an hour or so before finally showing us which bus we had to catch. I'm sure he just wanted to hear himself talk English, and we were willing to oblige at first, but after a while I was very close to punching the poor guy because he wouldn't shut up. Thankfully our salvation arrived in the form of the #317 bus.

Seoknamsa is a beautifull Buddhist temple set in an idyllic valley between some towering mountains. A stream bubbled down from the hills and made for a tranquil spot for meditation and relaxation. After wandering around for an hour or so we ventured down to a carbonic spa, where you can soak in these hot, mineral water baths. The tubs come in three temperatures, warm, hot and the burning fires of hell. It was a nice way to pass the weekend.

My parents arrived on Sunday as they are on their way back from a lengthy trip throughout South East Asia that has included stops in Hong Kong, China, Vietnam, Cambodia and now South Korea. It has been nice to have them around for a few days and today we put them on the bus north to Gyeongju so they can go exploring up there. Tonight we're going to celebrate my birthday with a visit to Ulsan's Outback Steakhouse (which will make for a welcome change from Korean food) and tomorrow, they will jump a train to Seoul and then fly on to Vancouver.

Life in Ulsan is good, the weather has been amazing, we had our first night of rain last night in about four weeks. Made for a welcome change from the clear blue skies and sun... I have to rub it in a bit!

Teaching is going well, we've juggled the schedule a bit to lighten the load for both Amy and I, so it's a bit more manageable now. It doesn't look like we'll be getting a new foreign teacher until well into the New Year now, which is kind of a drag, but what can you do....

Hope all is well with everyone, keep the emails coming!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home